Wednesday, July 18, 2012

School Resources - Getting access to what your child deserves

Hello again,

Are you like me, frustrated with the school system and options in place for special needs children?  Where I live, you will be reported to the Ministry of Children and Families for not forcing medication on your special child.  I went through several years of pop-in visits by the Ministry along with scathing parenting reports from teachers and administrators, all telling me how not to parent my child.  Apparently, I was doing it all wrong and certainly didn't follow their directions, but rather followed my doctor's advice instead.

Going against the school system takes a certain type of person, one who isn't afraid of being told you are completely wrong in any method you try to help your child fit it.  You see, regular public schools are not designed for special kids, even though they act like it is.  Nothing in the curriculum is remotely tailored to a child with a learning disability and if you aren't fortunate enough to be put on the "high risk" list, you ultimately have to teach your child yourself.  I found this book and I must admit, it would have come in handy a few years ago when I was deep in battle with the Ministry of Education over lack of instruction for my child.

Imagine a 6 year old left to play on a computer rather than being allowed to participate in the classroom routines simply because he was a withdrawn child and didn't like to sing and dance like the other children.  He has sensory issues people and all that singing and dancing around just made his mind race even faster and then he would be punished for acting inappropriately in the classroom.

Save yourself some time and check out this book.  Special Education Guide  It may be the shortcut you have been looking for to circumvent the inevitable red tape to school a special child.  Then come back and tell me what you think!